Yes, I know, I just want my traffic up again. I don’t know that I could beat the gay marriage thread, but lets try anyway.
1. Prohibition causes Marijuana to be expensive and creates a black market. This black market creates gangs aka violence. Legal marijuana would be taxable, safer for consumers, and cheaper, thus decreasing organized crime.
2. Its way less dangerous than alcohol. Your body has natural receptors for THC (the part of marijuana that makes you high) whereas your body does not have any natural receivers for alcohol and it does not process it naturally. Its why you get hangovers and why it causes liver damage.
3. Its not physically addictive. We’ve all seen the effects of nicotine and alcohol and how their addictive properties can destroy people’s lives. Marijuana is not habit forming. There is no hangover and no withdrawal symptoms because it doesn’t create dependance. The only addictive properties it has are purely psychological. Basically, its all in one’s head. That can happen with anything. Like me and Chick Fil A. (Which I’ve cut back on considerably, though it has been difficult after a year and a half of eating there every day).
4. It has medical use. Marijuana helps people with cataracts, rheumatoid arthritis, people on chemo, people with AIDs, as well as anorexic people (you know, the munchies work well helping people gain weight). There are many other non proven uses (only because the government refuses to fund studies.
5. It doesn’t make you out of control. Anyone that has been drunk before knows that you lose the ability to make good decisions. And some people become violent. This doesn’t happen with marijuana. I’m pretty sure that if Islamofacists smoked a J on occasion, they would stop trying to blow up America (or themselves as the case may be)
6. It doesn’t harm others. We live in a nation that is based on personal freedom. As long as what I’m doing doesn’t harm anyone else, it should be legal. We should have the freedom to do whatever we want to do with our body as long as it doesn’t infringe on the rights of others.
Here is a link to a timeline of cannabis use in the world. Note the racism and slander behind its eventual prohibition in this country, as well as the Laguardia commision (that was buried by the government) that says that marijuana does not cause violence.
All right. Discuss.
Update: This link has some interesting medical research that just came out. Its the second story on the page.